- The New York Court of Appeals’ rejection of both statutory and constitutional challenges alleging that New York laws criminalizing assisted suicide statutes do not and may not apply to medical aid in dying.
- A major amendment to the Uniform Determination of Death Act that clarifies both which medical criteria are authoritative for determining death by neurological criteria and that clinicians do not need family consent to administer brain death tests.
- A statute that requires clinicians to obtain patient or surrogate consent before writing a facility-based DNR order.
- The passage of a new POLST statute in and the material expansion of another.
- An innovative statute that requires default surrogates to gather information about an incapacitated patient’s beliefs, values, and preferences before making a health care decision.
- The passage of another statute directing the creation of an electronic registry for health care directives.
- The passage of statutes in two more states that direct the formation of quality of care and palliative care task forces and that direct health departments to promote both professional and consumer palliative care education.
Home Unlabelled Right to Die - Top Legal Developments 2017
Thursday, September 14, 2017
Load disqus comments
A Coverdell Education Savings Accounts (ESA) is a believe or custodial account designed to assist households pay for education. Just like a ...
Taquisha McKitty is being physiologically sustained at Brampton Civic Hospital (Ontario), even though her attending physician (Omar Hayani) ...
Regional Hospice and Palliative Care in Danbury, Connecticut, has put together a cartoon ad campaign that they say will help take the taboo ...
I started writing a new column for The ASCO post. My first one is titled "Informed Consent and the Oncologist: Legal Duties to Discus...
It was a pleasure to be included on this panel , this afternoon, to discuss advance care planning at Kaiser Health News.
I have repeatedly benefited from the work of Muriel R. Gillick,M.D., a member of the Division of Aging at the Brigham and Women's Hospit...
Clapper, Patti Schweizer & Mason is a California mesothelioma regulation firm with over 30 years of achievement. Our legal profession...
No legal or policy issues with this story . But it is too heartwarming not to share.
Too few medical associations have issued either practice guidelines or policies on VSED. Fortunately, the American Nurses Association issued...
The AALS Section on Law, Medicine & Health Care will be holding a workshop session for junior scholars at the upcoming AALS annual meeti...